I was looking forward to travel with my family to Berlin and spend a few days with my fellow Toyota Kata practitioners and enthousiasts sharing our learnings from the past two years. But for obvious reasons Katacon 2020 got cancelled.
But I still have the desire to share with an international audience what I planned for Berlin. I am working on making my material shareable in digital format. Here you can find what I have shared so far about my Toyota Kata Teaching Approach.
My proposed Katacon 2020 contribution:
How to Coach if You do not yet have a Target Condition?
A target is not a Target Condition. The difference is not obvious and I struggled for years to explain the difference. Over time a way of working emerged that takes you on a journey from developing your first Target Condition towards a simple way for Strategy Deployment. No X-matrix needed!
Let me take you on this journey and you will learn:
- The Kata in the Classroom (KiC-1) exercise.
- An addition to the KiC-1 exercise that explains and demonstrates, with the use of the puzzle, the difference between a target and a target condition.
- Kata storyboards with a twist.
- Different people tell different stories in different ways. Capture these stories, start a meaningful conversation AND have a low resistance introduction to Toyota Kata.
- Ask meaningful questions with the aid of a kata storyboard.
- Coach while building a kata storyboard.
- Experiment while building a kata storyboard.
- Use Kata storyboards to create a Chain of Stories to facilitate strategy deployment. Way simpler than the X matrix!
- My take on the questions you have for me.
I want to make it really practical and meaningful for you, so bring your own improvement stories to practice with!
The proposed Kata in the Classroom exercise is hard to do without a classroom. Also the second point of the addition to the exercise is hard to show without the puzzels on the table.
For the other topics I am on my way!